By Aiko Pinksoki Sautéed Fiddleheads Now is prime time for fiddleheads - baby Ostrich ferns.…
Recipe: Carrot & Rutabaga with Honey & Lemon
By Christine Evans
When we bought our house (over twenty years ago) we suddenly became the hosts for Thanksgiving dinner. Having never cooked such an elaborate meal before, we turned to the Thanksgiving issues of cooking magazines. We found this recipe (I think it was in Bon Appetit). We’ve modified it very slightly over the years, but have been serving it for the holiday it ever since. Be sure to not overcook the carrots and rutabagas – they should not be mushy, and still have a little crunch. Great time to use a mandoline if you have one hidden away in the cabinet!
Carrot & Rutabaga with Honey & Lemon
Serves: 6-10 as a side dish
Time: about 20 minutes
- 1 lb rutabaga
- 1 lb carrots
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup fresh chives
- Peel rutabaga and carrots and cut into matchstick strips 2-3 inches long.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add rutabagas, return to boil, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add carrots and cook until both vegetables are tender but not mushy, about 5 more minutes. Drain.
- Melt butter over medium-high heat in a large, sauté pan.
- Add honey, lemon, and lemon zest. Bring to a boil.
- Add drained vegetables and cook until glazed, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes.
- Cut chives into two inch lengths and mix into vegetables.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.