Open Table’s mission is to address hunger in our local community by providing healthy food in a welcoming environment that respects the dignity and diversity of those served. We achieve our mission by:
- Offering a wide variety of healthy and culturally appropriate food choices in our pantry and meal programs.
- Engaging a team of diverse, committed and passionate staff and volunteers
Value Statement: We believe that people should not be hungry. We recognize that economic, racial and gender inequality are the main drivers of food insecurity. We welcome our neighbors in need with compassion and respect.
Vision Statement: We strive to end hunger by removing the barriers to food caused by race, gender, sexual orientation, disability, income and age.
Meeting the Needs of ALL
Open Table stands in support of the Black Lives Matter Movement. We join communities around the country and globe mourning the lives of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and so many others black lives that have been lost as a result of systemic racism. A healthy community is one that rejects racism in all its forms.
Our board and staff pledge to work actively to identify all forms of bias within our programs and hiring processes, and if found, to address them through training and program modifications. Throughout our 30 year history, Open Table’s mission has been to provide healthy food in a welcoming environment while respecting the dignity of those we serve. We proudly and firmly recommit to this mission. Our continuing efforts to address food insecurity is just one step towards eliminating the health and social disparities that disproportionately impact communities of color. We welcome the opportunity to engage with our friends and neighbors in making our community and our country a more racially equitable place to live.
A Volunteer Organization
Open Table was established as a 501(c)3 in 1989. Open Table has one full-time paid employee and six part-time employees — relying on the generosity of over 600 volunteers. The fifteen-member board of directors serves as the main fundraising and strategic planning body. Both the Concord and Maynard sites have operating teams that manage the day-to-day logistical needs of the organization and a full administrative team supports all the fundraising and communications aspects of the organization. In recent years, a guest support team was formed to address challenges guests face outside the realm of food. This team listens actively to guests and directs them to local resources to assist them.
Where Does Our Funding Go?
It’s a simple story: since we are primarily a volunteer organization, 89 cents of every dollar is spent on feeding people.
Currently Open Table distributes approximately 7000 pounds of food each week and serves 250 meals to guests that hail from the Metro West suburbs and beyond. Open Table has received incredible support from the communities it serves through donations of food and funds, making it possible for us to continue to address food insecurity in our region.
Fun Facts About Open Table
- Did you know that Open Table was founded by Margie Goud and Robin Tardo in April of 1989?
- Did you know that Open Table spends $.89 of every donated dollar on feeding people?
- Did you know that Open Table has over 600 Volunteers?
- Did you know that Open Table provided healthy groceries to over 640 households in its pantry market in 2018?
- Did you know that Open Table serves 250 meals each week?
- Did you know that Open Table strives to accommodate the following dietary sensitivities and restrictions at its dinners each week: Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Pork Free, Vegan and Vegetarian.
- Did you know that Open Table distributes approximately 7000 lbs. of food each week?
- Did you know that at every Open Table meal and food pantry there is a Site Manager who is trained in CPR, Chokesafe and AED in case of an emergency?
- Did you know it takes 50-55 Volunteers to cook/serve/cleanup onedinner at Open Table in Concord?
- Did you know that at each Thursday dinner, long-time Volunteer Ellen (aka the Chicken Lady) collects our food scraps so they don’t go into a landfill? The result is some well-fed chickens!
- Did you know that Concord hosts a themed dinner every 4thThursday of the month with a special meal, entertainment, games and prizes?
- Did you know that the Concord Holiday themed dinner in December 2018 attracted over 100 Guests?
- Did you know that the traditional meal served at the Concord Open Table December Holiday Dinner is roast beef?
- Did you know that in March 2019, one lucky table (#12) won all four games at the Concord Bingo Night?
- Did you know that the Greater Boston Food Bank provides Open Table with food each week (for free or at very low cost) for its dinners & pantry?
- Did you know that Open Table offers pantry services on Tuesdays and Thursdays and meals on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays?
- Did you know that local farms like Gaining Ground, Verrill Farm, Drumlin Farm, Barrett’s Mill Farm and Stone Root Farm donate fresh produce each week (during the growing season) to Open Table for its dinners & pantry?
- Did you know that mothers and daughters from the National Charity League (NCL) create table centerpieces each week for the Concord Open Table dinner?
- Did you know that a team of residents from Minute Man Arc set up the tables & chairs each week for the Concord Open Table dinner?
- Did you know that Open Table was scheduled to start in Maynard on January 1, 2006 but had to be delayed due to a blizzard?
- Did you know that students from The Fenn School set up the tables & chairs for the Maynard Open Table dinner?
- Did you know that students from the Middlesex School perform the weekly cleanup after the Concord Open Table dinner?
- Did you know that local stores like Roche Bros., Crosby’s, Shaw’s, Trader Joe’s, Stop & Shop, Whole Foods, Donelan’s and Debra’s Natural Gourmet donate food each week to Open Table’s pantry?
- Did you know that the Concord Flower Shop donates fresh flowers each week for the tables at the Concord Open Table dinner?
- Did you know that Open Table opened at its NEW current location in Maynard in August 2017?
- Did you know that over the past 30 years, Open Table has been at 2 sites in Concord: First Parish Church & TriCon Church
- Did you know that over the past 13 years, Open Table has been at these 4 sites in Maynard: Union Congregational Church, Clock Tower Place, Coolidge School, 33 Main Street & at this site in Sudbury: Sudbury United Methodist Church.
- Did you know that 12 Open Table Guests also serve as Volunteers or Board members?
- Did you know that Open Table provides Community Donation Drop-Off Centers at 105 Everett Street, Concord and 33 Main Street, Maynard?
- Did you know that there are so many refrigerators and freezers at Open Table Maynard that to keep them all straight we named them after famous people/bands? (Bill Beli-chest, Phyllis Chiller, Christopher Walk-in, M-chill Obama, Julia Chilled, Robert Frost, Morgan Freezman, Fria Kahlo, Coldplay, and LLCool-er)