By Ellen Green Late summer in my family has meant corn chowder and BLTs for…
By Jeanine Calabria
Jeanine has adapted the recipe and loves to serve it as a side dish, especially with grilled lamb chops.
Armenian Green Beans
- 1 ½ -2 lbs green beans, cleaned and snapped into 1” pieces
- 2-3 medium ripe tomatoes (use canned if you don’t have fresh ones, one small can should do)
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 2 tbs red pepper paste, or Harissa)
- 3-4 garlic cloves, whole or minced
- ⅓ tsp ground black pepper
- ⅓ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- Salt to taste
- Fresh herbs: parsley, dill, cilantro a tbs each
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta (goat cheese)
- Steam the green beans in just enough water to cover the beans in a medium sauce pan until tender (10 minutes)
- While the green beans steam, saute the onions until translucent then add the garlic for one minute.
- Add the tomatoes and spices to and simmer for 5 minutes.
- When the green beans are tender, add the green beans to the sauce and 1/2 cup of their cooking liquid. Cover and simmer for an additional 5 – 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle fresh herbs on the top and crumbled feta cheese and serve.