Adapted from Taste of Home Split Pea Soup Ingredients: 6 cups vegetable broth 2 cups…
Recipe: Sweet Potato and Apple Casserole
By Gaining Ground
Our good friends at Gaining Ground provide tip sheets with fabulous recipes for each of the vegetables and herbs that they grow. These informational materials can be of great use for clients who receive vegetables that they are not familiar with – or for other farm’s CSA members who are in the same boat. And Gaining Ground provides the tips and recipes in multiple languages!
This month we are borrowing a recipe from their Sweet Potato Tips. Check out the full info sheet for more recipes.
Sweet Potato and Apple Casserole
- 6 medium sized sweet potatoes, washed
- 4 medium tart apples (any but Delicious), washed and peeled if desired
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup apple cider
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly grease a shallow baking dish (9×13).
- Using a fork, pierce potatoes in several places. Roast them in the oven for 15-20 minutes – they should be almost tender but firm.
- Let them cool and then peel away the skins with a knife. Slice into ¼ inch thick rounds. If they’re very large, cut them in half again to make half circles.
- Slice apples into ¼ inch slices.
- In a small pan, melt butter. Add apple cider and stir.
- Put one row of potatoes in the baking dish and a row of apples on top. Do this until all the potatoes and apples are used.
- Sprinkle with sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon, then pour butter and juice on top.
- Bake 20-30 minutes.