Baba Ghanouj From Gaining Ground and Just Food's tip sheets; adapted from Elizabeth Henderson and…
Adapted from Cook’s Illustrated Magazine, Christopher Kimball, January/February 2001 as included in the Just Food arugula tip sheet from Gaining Ground
Arugula and Ricotta Pesto
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, walnuts, almonds, or sunflower seeds
- 1 cup packed fresh arugula leaves, washed and dried thoroughly
- 1 cup packed fresh parsley leaves, washed and dried thoroughly
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 7 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a food processor or blender, combine garlic, nuts or seeds, arugula, parsley, basil, and oil and blend until it forms a smooth mixture. You may have to scrape down the sides of the processor or blender.
- Transfer the mixture to a small bowl and stir in the cheeses, salt, and pepper.
This recipe makes about 1-1/2 cups of pesto, enough to sauce on pound of cooked pasta.
It is best to add 3-4 tbsp of the water the pasta was cooked in to the pesto before tossing it with the pasta.