By Aiko Pinksoki Sautéed Fiddleheads Now is prime time for fiddleheads - baby Ostrich ferns.…
Recipe: Potato Leek Soup
From Gaining Ground’s adaptation from Foodbook for a Sustainable Harvest, by Elizabeth Henderson and David Stern
Potato Leek Soup
- 1 tbsp oil
- 6 leeks, root and tough green parts removed, sliced and then washed thoroughly
- 4 medium potatoes, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp thyme
- 4-5 cups soup stock, brought to a boil in a small saucepan, and kept simmering
- 1 cup milk or cream
- 2 tbsp sour cream or yogurt
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley or chives
- In a soup pot, heat oil. Add leeks and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, thyme, and simmering stock. Simmer about 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- You can puree the soup in a blender or leave it chunky (return soup to the pot from blender if you pureed it).
- Gradually add the milk or cream and the sour cream or yogurt, stirring constantly.
- Season with salt and pepper and heat through, but do not boil.
- Add the parsley or chives and serve!